MBA-FP6016 Assessment 5: Shareholder Value Article Critique
Write a 3- to 4-page critique of Rappaport’s 2006 cover story “Ten Ways to Create Shareholder Value,” linked in the Resources under the Required Resources heading.
The following article discusses the expected value model.
- Rappaport, A. (2006). Ten ways to create shareholder value [Cover story]. Harvard Business Review, 84(9), 66–77.
Additional Resources for Further Exploration
The following texts are designed to assist learners to master core concepts, solve financial problems, and analyze results.
- Ross, S. A., Westerfield, R. W., Jaffe, J. F., & Jordan, B. D. (2014). Corporate finance: Core principles and applications (4th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill. – Available from the bookstore
The text offers an introductory look at corporate finance.
- Welch, I. (2014). Corporate finance (3rd ed.). Retrieved from http://book.ivo-welch.info/ed3/Chapter 19, “Equity Payouts: Dividends and Share Structure,” pages 639-669
Note that a critique is not just a summary or opinion—it requires a formal analysis and critical review. Your critique should address what the author is saying and what arguments are being made. Be sure to examine whether the author’s arguments are supported with facts or data. Address what implications the article may have. Consider what the author has omitted from the article.
In your analysis, address the following points:
- Analyze the validity of finance and value creation arguments. What are the facts and data upon which those arguments rest?
- How do these facts validate or invalidate the author’s arguments?
- Assess the use of financial persuasion to support the arguments. What financial persuasion elements were present?
- Were any financial data or facts omitted?
- Analyze the financial implications of the author’s arguments. What does this mean for the organization?
- Are there implications for constituents and interested parties?
- Synthesize your analysis of the article and your observation of the finance function at your workplace, or a major publicly rated corporation. What new or deeper understandings do you have about the finance function?
- What other insights do you have about the finance function? Use the arguments, facts, data, and financial persuasion elements from the article to support your understanding of the finance function.
Your paper should be written in a manner that is professional and consistent with expectations for members of the business professions.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting:Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA style and formatting.
- Number of resources: Minimum of three references.
- Length of paper: 3–4 typed double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
Course: MBA-FP6016 Finance and Value Creation
School: Capella university